Saturday, August 14, 2010

Too much hubris

A friend, also widowed, asked me what was coming up for us. I knew he was talking about difficult milestones, but it felt almost as if the question didn't apply to me. I talked about the anniversary of S's death next month, which will be quickly followed quickly by our wedding anniversary. No surprises here - I know the dates and I have full understanding of the passage of time. As long as things don't sneak up on me,  I can manage them. Right?

It hit me this morning. During this week last year, the week before school starts, we headed to the mountains for our last family vacation. We had the best time we'd had in months, and I was cautiously optimistic that we were through the worst of S's illness. Laughing with my family in a boat on the cool mountain lake, I had no idea that his final decline would begin on the way home from that trip. Then came the beginning of a new school year, then Pickle's birthday, then my birthday. Then the last tortured weeks, then his death, then the funeral, then our anniversary, then Critter's birthday.

Just a week ago, when asked what was coming up, I shrugged off the question. Now I see a rough road ahead for the next six weeks or so.  So it's back to basics for a while. I'll try to get plenty of sleep and exercise. I'll check in with my therapist and take a day or two off of work to just breathe. I'll spend time with the most special people, the few who don't need me to pretend everything is fine. I'll celebrate the girls' birthdays and surround them with the family and friends who love them most. Who knows? Maybe I'll even throw a birthday party for myself.

7 comments:

  1. what if i throw you a birthday party? and you can invite whoever you want. by the way, i don't think this is having too much pride. at least, you don't strike me as the kind of person who would go flippantly into (or be so in the midst of) anything.

    i don't really know what to do, or maybe i'm doing it, but if there is anything tangible, like letting critter hang out here some, please let me know. i am really glad we're friends. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like just being as aware as you are and knowing what to do to ease the coming challenges eliminates any hubris. BTW I already picked up a cool birthday card for you. Hopefully I will remember to send it on time...wish I could just hand it to you in person. Take care, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs. Take that time ...to just breathe.

    It is K's birthday today. It's all I can do NOT to cry in front of her. I knew it was coming too, but it's still hit me hard. Thankfully, she seems OK with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi, you rock, as always. You're doing everything that can possibly be done.

    Leslie, can't believe it has been almost three years since our 40th birthday New York extravaganza! We'll get up to see you one of these days.

    Amanda, looks like you gave K a beautiful birthday - she looks so happy in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there is ANYTHING I can do to help you breathe let me know. I am always out here, don't hesitate XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy to attend said birthday party - and will definitely assume I'd be invited. Would also be happy to listen to you breathe on the other end of my phone. Does that sound creepy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristina, you are totally invited... even if you're a little creepy :)

    ReplyDelete

Promote your blog