Saturday, July 24, 2010

61 minutes well spent

I just watched Young Widow: Naked in the Memorial Playground, a documentary by Elizabeth Titus. I'll have more to say about it later, but wanted to quickly share this list from the film:


Top 10 things you don't say to a widow
  1. He died for a reason
  2. God never gives you more than you can bear
  3. I've been through a divorce, so I know exactly how you feel
  4. My dog died, so I know exactly how you feel
  5. My 89 year old grandmother died, so I know exactly how you feel
  6. At least you didn't have children
  7. At least you had children
  8. It was for the best
  9. God wanted him more than you
  10. Are you over it yet?
I have been on the receiving end of versions of #2, #4, #5, #8 and #10.

4 comments:

  1. O.M.G. I am sooo stealing your list and turning it into a t-shirt... or maybe a handy-dandy card that I can flash at the morons who ask these questions (yes I know they are just looking for something to say).
    I've had #2, #3, #5, #7, #9 and numerous #10s (and you know I'm only 4.5 months in).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the "widow cards" Fresh Widow's blog? http://freshwidow.blogspot.com/2009/01/introducing-my-new-free-product-widow.html

    Actual cards you can print and hand to people, and they are awesome!

    I'd love to send you the Young Widow documentary DVD.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked for the DVD in my normal online DVD buying place and they were all "huh?". Maybe it's not realeased here in Oz ....

    and I've seen Fresh Widow's cards - hilarious. (well hilarious when you know the dark humour they spring from).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Promote your blog